2 tablespoons of oil
650 grams of stewing steak
2 white onions peeled and thinly sliced into half moon shapes
3 carrots sliced into batons
1 tablespoon of plain flour
600ml of red wine
2 cloves of garlic crushed
a squeeze of a tomato puree
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based oven proof casserole or saucepan .
- Season the beef with a good twist of salt and pepper and fry in batches in order to ensure the meat is sealed and has nice brown crispy bits , as seen in the picture below
- scoop the beef out and leave to rest on a plate
- add your onions and carrots to the same pan , Cook until they have soften and have some colour
- add the beef back into the pan with the carrots and onions . Sprinkle in a tablespoon of plain flour .
- It is now time to add the red wine . I normally add the wine in three batches as you want to have a fairly even spread of the flour in the liquid .add more seasoning a crushed clove of garlic , a squeeze of tomato puree as well . pop the lid on and place in low oven at 150 degree for about an hour
- after about an hour in the oven , you need to add the mushrooms and bacon . I use the pre chopped lardons form Aldi . Fry of the bacon and mushrooms until the fat has run from the bacon and the mushrooms have a bit of colour , then pop them into the stew pot . Put the stew back in oven for another 45 minutes to an hour